23 ottobre 2016 · Ultime notizie:

Lapidaria Gallery

The Lapidaria Gallery which in reached from the ground floor of the Palazzo dei Conservatori, was excavated during the years 1939-40 to join up the three Palazzi Capitolini. It contains Greek, Roman Byzantine, Medieval and Modern inscriptions.

The New Museum

The first three rooms of this museum contain fragments of statues, sarcophagi and urns etc. In the centre of ROOM IV is the elegant statue of Polymnia, a copy of an Hellenistic work from the second century B.C., in ROOM V it is worth noting the votive relief showing Asclepius, a Greek original of the [...]

The Museum of Palazzo dei Conservatori

This starts with tlie three HALLS OF MODERN POMPS with the lists of magistrates of the city from 1640 onwards and a collection of herms and busts.After these rooms, the Gallery of Orti Lamiani contains the sculptures found in the Lamiani gardens on the Esquiline. Of particular interest are a seated figure of a Girl, [...]

The Palazzo dei Conservatori

The LITTLE ENTRANCE COURT contains the grandiose remains of the statue of Costanti ne (head, arm, leg, hand and feet); the colossal acrolith was in the apse of the Basilica of Constantine. In the opposite PORTICO is the head of Costantius II, another colossal statue. On the left hand walls there are reliefs representing the [...]

Capitoline Museum

In the wall of the COURT opposite the entrance there is a tablet placed there in 1734 to commemorate the setting up of the Museum. Beneath this and above the fountain reclines the colossal statue of Oceano from the first century B.C. popularly called Marforio, one of the talking statues of Rome. The Portico to [...]


(Open: from 9 to an hour before sunset, closed Sunday afternoons). The largest amphitheater ever built in Rome and symbol for Romanism was the work of the Flavian emperors and was therefore called Amphiteatrum Flavium. The name Colosseum first come to be used in the Middle Ages and can be traced to the nearby colossal [...]

Roman Forum

(Via dei Fori Imperiali. open: weekdays and holidays 9-13. from Spring to Autumn 9-19, closed Mondays). Situated in a valley between the Palatine, the Capitoline and the Esquiline hills, the area was originally a mos: inhospitable zone, swampy and unhealthy, until surprisingly modern reclama­tion work was carried out by the king Tarquinius Priscus, who provided [...]