This starts with tlie three HALLS OF MODERN POMPS with the lists of magistrates of the city from 1640 onwards and a collection of herms and busts.After these rooms, the Gallery of Orti Lamiani contains the sculptures found in the Lamiani gardens on the Esquiline. Of particular interest are a seated figure of a Girl, an Hellenistic work dating from the second century B. C., and a Centaur’s head, probably an original from the second school of Pergamus. In the centre there is the Venus of the Esquiline, dating from the end of the Republic.The HALL OF MAGISTRATES takes its name from two statues of Magistrates conducting the opening ceremonies of the Games in the Circus, dating from the beginning of the fourth century. Then there are the two HALLS OF THE ARCHAIC MONUMENTS, with an original Greek lion’s head dating from the first half of the fifth century B.C. and an lonic funeral stele dating from the end of the sixth century B.C., the latter perhaps originating in Southern Italy.The two HALLS OF CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS contain inscriptions, epigraphs, sarcophagi and sculptures, including the head of a Byzantine empress, believed to be Amalasunta, daughter of Theodoricus, King of the Goths, which probably dates from the end of the fifth or beginning of the sixth century A.C.The HALL OF THE FIREPLACE, built from ancient remains, contains Greek vases and antefixes tram Capua, dating from the sixth and the third centuries B.C.The two CASTELLANI HALLS contain the Castellani collection, which was given to the city in 1867. In the centre of the first room there is the Capitoline Tensa (Roman ritual carriage for statues of the Gods). This is a reconstruction of a carriage with reliefs on bronze plaques depicting episodes of the Trojan cycle (third century); drinking bowl of Aristonothos with a representation of Plysses and Poliphemus trom the seventh century B.C.In the HALL Of THE BRONZES there are the remains of the colossal statue of Costanzo Il: the head, a hand and the orb. There is also a statuette of a Lar dancing with a rhyton (drinking horn) in hand (first century A.C.) and a funeral bed from Amiternum inlaid with silver ornamentation (first century A.C.).Finally the HALL OF THE ORTI MECENAZIANI contains sculptures from the gardens of Maecenas: a fighting Hercules, from an originai by Lysippus; a hanging Marsia, one of the best copies of the originai from the school of Rhodes (second first century B.C.); a relief with a dancing Maenad, a Roman copy by Callimacus.The NEW WING contains the sculptures which have been discovered in the most recent excavations and some remains from the Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus, which, according to tradition, goes back to Tarquinius Priscus; this covered the area of the New Wing, the New Museum and the adjoining garden; it had three cells and had been decorated by Vulca di Veio.In ROOM Ione should note the fragment of a fresco from a tomb from the Esquiline of the third century B.C., the earliest known Roman painting of a historical subject. ROOMS II and III contain architectural decorations and Roman portraits.A Greek original from the fifth century B.C. Apollo the archer from the Temple of Apollo Sosianus, is on view in ROOM IV with an excellent copy of the Aristogeiton, a statue belonging to the group of Tyrannicides by Kritios and Nesiotes (fifth century B.C.).ROOMS V and VI contain reliefs and friezes. Worth mentioning in ROOM VII are the fragments of the frieze which decorated the celi of the Temple of Jupiter Sosianus, figuring a triumphal procession.
The Museum of Palazzo dei Conservatori
17 aprile 2008 By Leave a Comment